From Mie Guidebook
So you finally finally hear where you're going to be placed, and the excitement really starts to build.
"What's it like?"
This section will try and answer that question - it is a work in progress.
Three Months before Departure
- Start gathering materials you can use in class to help introduce your life or to use as prizes
- If coming from the US - file form 6166 with the IRS. See US Taxes for more info.
- Start learning hiragana and katakana
- If you have any questions, post them on the Mie JETs forum.
Two Months before
- Get your International Driving Permit
Three Weeks before
- Look around for omiyage. It is important to remember that the idea, "it's the thought that counts" is the rule here so don't worry about bringing fine goods. Just find something that small, easy to transport, and something that Japanese people aren't likely to see very often. Get a list from your predecessor of roughly how many pieces of omiyage you are likely to need.
- Change some of your money into Japanese yen, you will need some cash in Tokyo.
Two Weeks before
- Ship anything you aren't packing in your suitcase.
One Week before
- Spend time with your friends and family. Relax :)
- You may have some last minute packing. がんばって (gambatte)!
|Top • About Mie • Life in Mie • Travel Guides • Learning • Teaching • JET Arrivals • Calendar • Returners • FAQ • SAQ • Help|